Community Spine & Physical Therapy, a service of Community Hospital, is located on the fourth floor of the Medical Office Building, Suite 405. We offer medical and rehabilitative treatment options in one setting. This area consists of two private treatment rooms with traction, nu-step, treadmill, stationary bike, elliptical, upper body ergometer and other resistive equipment to help aid in the rehabilitative process.
Hours of Operation:
Monday-Friday 6:30 am -3:00 pm
Phone (219) 836-5167 (choose physical therapy option)
Fax (219) 836-5249
Physical Therapists of Community Hospital are graduates of accredited physical therapy programs and licensed by the state of Indiana. Masters degrees and certification in the mechanical diagnosis and treatment of the spine have been pursued. Additional board certifications include orthopedic physical therapy and strength and conditioning specialist at the various facilities. Continuing education and advanced degrees in physical therapy are continually being completed, and our therapists educate the community on prevention of injuries to maintain optimal health.
Community Spine & Physical Therapy has a dedicated therapist to assess patients, develop treatment plans, provide therapy, and work closely with your physician to provide optimal therapy services and treatment options.
Dr. Helen Mitrakis, DPT, MPA, Cert MDT* - Supervisor
- 2009 Doctor of Physical Therapy University of Indianapolis
- 2004 Masters in Public Administration Indiana University;
- 1996 BS in Physical Therapy IUPUI
- 14 years experience
- Specialty Certifications: Certified in Mechanical Diagnosis and Treatment of the Spine
- Presentations: Total Hip and Total Knee replacement, Body Mechanics for the Caregiver
- Interests: running, biking, swimming, high school track and field, basket ball.
Helen is the supervisor of Community Spine & Physical Therapy. Helen received her Masters in Public Administration from Indiana University Northwest, Gary, IN, and Bachelors Degree in Physical Therapy from IUPUI, Indianapolis, IN. Helen holds a specialty certification in Mechanical Diagnosis and Treatment for back, neck and extremity problems.
*Cert MDT (Certification in Mechanical Diagnosis and Treatment) See web link: http://www.mckenziemdt.org The McKenzie Method - Mechanical Diagnosis and Therapy® a philosophy of active patient involvement and education that is trusted and used by practitioners and patients all over the world for back, neck and extremity problems.
Your physical therapist will:
- Perform a complete initial physical therapy evaluation upon your physician's referral.
- Perform special tests to identify the basis for your movement problems.
- Develop an individualized treatment plan of care to address your specific functional goals.
- The same therapist will treat you from outpatient evaluation through completion of therapy to ensure your best possible functional outcomes and maintain continuity of care.
Additional Community Hospital outpatient physical therapy locations:
- Fitness Pointe - with hours of 5am to 7pm including aquatic physical therapy / 219-934-2840
- St. John Outpatient Center - 6:30am to 6:30 pm / 219-226-2326
- Community Care Therapy Services - 7 am to 5:30 pm / 219-322-0660
- Community Hospital Outpatient Physical Therapy for neurological, balance, and lymphedema treatment - 7:30 am to 4:30 pm / 219-836-4527